Absolution is one of the most popular free styles in the phpBB Community. Attractive blue, green and silver colour scheme complimented by a unique layout including a custom “view topic” template. Fixed width and fluid options available.
- Download the style to your desktop.
- Using your computer’s built-in archive extractor, or a third-party file extractor (I use 7-Zip) unpack the contents of the .zip package to the desktop.
- A phpBB3 style consists of 3 folders and 1 file (imageset, template, theme and theme.cfg). Upload the folder containing these files to the /styles/ directory in your phpBB Installation.
- Head into your Administration Control Panel, click the “Styles” tab from the header menu. Scroll down to reveal a list of uninstalled styles. Click “Install” next to the style you wish to install.
- On the next page you’ll have the option to set the style as the board default. Make your choice and click “Submit” to complete installation.
Absolution has a number of configurable options. Unfortunately phpBB doesn’t have the facility for users to define custom options in styles, meaning as the Administrator the choices you make here affect every user on your board.
To edit these options, download: /absolution/template/absolution_config.html then open it in a code editor. Options are changed by editing variable values, an example is below:
(Collapsible categories are now disabled).
Upload the modified file, then refresh the template cache (ACP => Styles => Templates => Absolution => Refresh). Of course there are other options you can change, descriptions of which can be found in same file.
Absolution is also available on ColorizeIt, a unique web-based tool allowing anyone to completely change the colour scheme of the style by dragging a few sliders. No coding knowledge required at all.
Support / Donations
Support for this style, any of my other styles or tutorials on this site is freely available on my support forum. Running costs for the site are paid for by Advertising, although I receive no other revenue from running the site. If you feel you’d like to make a donation as a token of your appreciation, please do so here. Thanks.